Thursday, August 3, 2023

PhD sketchbooks: SBE (some time in 2017 - 22/4/21)

I was using this one right at the start of trying to get the PhD off the ground! So a lot of the front of it is very unexciting old notes about entry requirements and research proposals and the occasional line about having to email somebody. 

Then I left it half-empty for a while, but then, shortly after beginning SBD (which has paper that is far too nice) I realised I'd prefer something that I could use for rough scratchy drawings without fearing that I was wasting good quality paper, so I picked it up again.

(Timelapse video of this one here!)

Planning slides for that paper

I went through my copy of Barclay's Universal English Dictionary (c.1812, definitely the sort of thing the people from my case study would have been familiar with, here's a later edition) and found relevant definitions. (Done in pencil because I'm not using ink anywhere near a 200-year-old dictionary)

Notes on Amanda Vickery's Behind Closed Doors: At Home in Georgian England (Yale University Press, New Haven & London, 2009) which has things that would be relevant to my characters

Reading Manifestos for History (edited by Keith Jenkins, Sue Morgan, and Alun Munslow; Routledge, London, 2009). Ann asks important questions about memory and commemoration, and puts the frighteners up Charley.

Left: planning for William's two extra pages in Disorder (see IBJ for when I decided to do these). Right: Charley in the rain

Important notes about image processing and other digital stuff for Disorder. Also iridescent pink tape!

Initial ideas for a postdoctoral thing. Left: brewing up interpretations of dead people. Right: more recent versions of the characters meet old versions of themselves, from a project I did a few years ago - see more of that here

This one's a bit sparse in comparison to some of the others - see more sketchbooks in the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Characterisation of Charley and Ann - or, Beauty and Sublimity

[Looks like I'd started writing this in 2021, and only now I am getting round to posting it. Hang about, we've got the word "su...