Friday, December 22, 2023

Irregular Interpretations exhibition at the Hardwick Gallery, Cheltenham

Irregular Interpretations is the end-of-PhD exhibition that I did to coincide with my exam! It ran from Monday 11th to Thursday 21st December 2023, so no worries if you missed it, it wasn't on for long - but I got plenty of photos and a video! Open the images in a new tab if you want to take a closer look at them, the resolution isn't bad so the stuff should be legible.

If you visited, the first thing you'd've seen on your right is fifteen massive (Un)Known Associates cards, each one measuring 42x70 cm (16.5x27.5 inches).


Technician Ash attached the wires to the ceiling and I hung everything very wonkily (deliberately)


Straight ahead of you from the door were five A0 boards explaining some stuff about my work. View them on ResearchGate and Academia.edu.

Paul and Ash (the gallery technicians) got the scissor lift and the laser level out, and they hung these perfectly











On your left, there were sixteen extracts from my sketchbooks, showing spreads in which I made significant decisions.





Then, on the wall directly to your left as you enter, there was a life-size William with a load of things around him explaining how I'd created him as a character. (Ed for scale.)




There was also a table with copies of Disorder and (Un)Known Associates, sketchbooks that visitors were invited to draw/ write in (and some very excellent people did!), pens, a deck of (U)KA cards, and a box of leaflets.

Sarah, the director of the Hardwick Gallery, also made this enormous A0 poster which was up outside the exhibition. It's got the same text as on the Hardwick Gallery's website.

I stole one of these posters when me and my dad went to take the exhibition down today

But yeah, I had a launch event which was a good informal conversation with several splendid people who braved the hideous weather and traffic to get there, and then on Wednesday I had my exam, which (in hindsight) was actually really great (yeah, I was very nervous, but the only bits I can remember were just that everybody was extremely nice and kind to me and my examiners love my work, and they want to help me improve it so I have minor amendments and have to add another chapter to my thesis which basically involves reading a lot of comics)

Huge thanks to gallery director Sarah and the technicians Paul and Ash who helped me install it, and also to my dad for logistics, and also to Typecraft for the massive printing on foamex! I thoroughly enjoyed exhibiting - although planning it was a massive headache - but would 100% recommend, it's very useful experience actually putting things up in a proper gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Characterisation of Charley and Ann - or, Beauty and Sublimity

[Looks like I'd started writing this in 2021, and only now I am getting round to posting it. Hang about, we've got the word "su...