Saturday, August 5, 2023

PhD sketchbooks: bonus content

There's some stuff in other sketchbooks! And elsewhere!

First, some things for Charley's pages in Disorder. A4 spiral-bound, tan-coloured paper.

Media tests. The one on the left ended up on p.2 in the final comic.



There's two pages in Disorder where Mary Ann and Charley communicate, so I blended their visual languages. More consideration of that in IBJ.

I've also got a big A3 sketchbook which I hardly use because it is enormous

Early visual language test for Charley's pages in Disorder

Ghost Charley

I drew this after a Zoom talk by Beverley Pilcher (who wrote Barnard Castle and the Cholera Outbreak, 1849, privately published in 2004) and this drawing was a response to that. I also put this image on my Instagram.

I tried keeping a book specifically for any information I could find about William's connections (right at the start of doing (U)KA) but I forgot about it after a while, so it didn't go very far. This one's A5.




I had a load of stuff on my wall for (U)KA and most of it ended up glued into this book when I took it down - my splendid supervisor Katie suggested I put up sticky notes with thesis topics on the wall, and I love sticking things on walls

Not a sketchbook, but a prototype publication - the definitions! Based on Frederick Dinsdale's Teesdale Glossary (1849) and Barlcay's Universal English Dictionary (I've got a copy c.1812, this one is 1835). Initial responses to Dinsdale in IBJ, planning for the illustrations in IBL, final illustrations in A4BF.



I know I said that's probably it in the previous post... but I think that these sketchbook posts might be over now. Right. Back to the sketchbook index here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Characterisation of Charley and Ann - or, Beauty and Sublimity

[Looks like I'd started writing this in 2021, and only now I am getting round to posting it. Hang about, we've got the word "su...