Friday, August 4, 2023

PhD sketchbooks: A4BF (September 2021 - ongoing)

Which is mostly finals for the definitions (photos of the prototype product at the end of this post) and (U)KA! (Timelapse video here!)

Furious about disembodiment again

Diagrams, trying to make sense of themes and such in my entire project, for the purposes of sorting out the thesis

Experiments done while looking at Remedios Varo's work

Left hand page: apparently the building that had been Bowes Academy later became a cafe. Right hand page: more Varo-esque stuff, that being the death (and ascension) of Mr Dixon for (U)KA, and Charley with too many mouths as an alarming metaphor for multiple voices/ stories and not finding the information you want where you expect. Preliminary versions in IBK.

Thinking about the Perception (which also appears in SBF) and which will be a postdoctoral project (comic? who knows) about how the discipline and practitioners of history are perceived, and what we're expected to do and to be like. 

Left: keeping track of which (U)KA cards I'd digitally processed (which got glued in much later). Right: things for the definitions, based on definitions for Dinsdale's Teesdale Glossary (see IBJ) and further pushing the idea in IBL with Barclay's Universal English Dictionary.

More on the definitions

Definitions again, and frames and spot illustrations for assembling digitally.

(U)KA finals


(U)KA finals for the cast list

Notes pulled off my wall - these were all relating to (U)KA

Extra images for the thesis. That one of Charley - I wanted to show him teaching but didn't know what gesture to give him, and then there was a knock on the door and I had to give a delivery driver directions to a nearby location - and then realised that my explaining-stuff-movements would be very useful! So I recreated them for my laptop camera and drew from the resulting images. Right: a diagram about my methodology. 

This one still has one page left in the back, in case I need to draw another big thing for the thesis. Other than that, it's the end of the A4 books! Find more sketchbooks in the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Characterisation of Charley and Ann - or, Beauty and Sublimity

[Looks like I'd started writing this in 2021, and only now I am getting round to posting it. Hang about, we've got the word "su...